In its 7th year, the Sandhills Veterans Festival (aka “Vet Fest”) is an annual event held over several weekends to support our troops and honor our veterans in Moore County. Moore County offers a supportive community for veterans, active duty members, and military families.
Vet Fest kicks off this year with the Sandhills Veterans Concert on Saturday, October 27th at 6:00 p.m. at Cooper Ford in Carthage. This is a free concert for the entire family and will feature local musicians Becca Rae and Whiskey Pines. There will be food trucks onsite and beverages provided by Southern Pines Brewing Company.
Rae, a local country music recording artist, moved to Moore County a few years back, after getting her start in the music business as a teenager living in Nashville, TN. Whiskey Pines describes their sound as acoustic rock with a touch of folk and classic rock licks.
One of the biggest official events of the Festival is the Southern Pines Veterans Parade, which bills itself as Moore County’s largest parade. On Saturday, November 10th, the parade begins at 10:00 a.m. in downtown Southern Pines.
Hundreds of motorcycles are expected to open the parade on their way to the Veterans Memorial wreath laying ceremony in Carthage. Other special guests include vintage military aircraft with the Bandit Flight Team flyover, and the precision Skydiving Angels from The Children of Fallen Heroes organization. Parade participants include marching bands, ROTC groups, local Scout troops, firetrucks, antique vehicles, active-duty soldiers and American veterans.
Gold Star and Blue Star families are invited to march in the parade or enjoy the parade from the designated VIP area across from the Sunrise Theater.
Vet Fest Calendar of Events:
Saturday, October 27
- Sandhills Veterans Concert hosted by Cooper Ford, 5292 US Highway 15-501, Carthage at 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, November 4
- VVA Chapter 966 “Field of Honor” flag display at Seven Lakes. Opening Ceremony, Nov. 4, at 2:00 p.m.
Saturday, November 10
- Veterans Motorcycle Ride. Meet at 8:00 a.m. at Cox’s Double Eagle Harley-Davidson, 7540 US Highway 15-501 South, West End, for the parade.
- Southern Pines Veterans Parade 10:00 a.m., on Broad Street in downtown Southern Pines.
- Southern Pines Veterans Concert, from 11:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m., with the 82nd Airborne Rock Band, on the First Bank Stage at the Sunrise Theater, in downtown Southern Pines.
- Carthage Veterans Memorial Wreath Laying, at 11:00 a.m., at Moore County Veterans Memorial, in Carthage.
- Let Freedom Rumble, from 1:00 – 6:00 p.m., at Cox’s Double Eagle Harley-Davidson, 7540 U.S. 15-501 South, in West End. This is a ticketed event featuring food, vendors, and live performances by Tony Barnes & Whiskey Pines, August Burning, Dark Horse, Reuben Kennedy, Soulshine Brotherhood, & Terminally Chill.
Sunday, November 11
- Pinehurst Official Veterans Day Observance, at 11:00 a.m., Village Hall, in Pinehurst.
- Blue-Vass Music Festival, from 1:00–7:00 p.m., at Sandy Ramey Keith Park in Vass. Live music entertainment, barbecue and chicken plates available for purchase, and the Rockin’ Rollin’ Video Game Party.
Fun & family-friendly, Vet Fest’s activities offer something for everyone, including opportunities to volunteer. Moore Countians look forward to events, like Vet Fest, to celebrate, honor, and support the military veterans, active duty members, and their families in our communities.