The Town of Aberdeen, in partnership with Sandhills Community College’s Small Business Center, kicked off its Spring 2015 Business and Entrepreneurship Seminar Series this week with its first two courses of the year.
The seminars (the partnership will put on 12 more through April) are free, open to the public, and cover a wide range of business and entrepreneurial topics - from sales to branding to crowdfunding. All courses are held at the Aberdeen Fire Department, in a smart classroom that has four TVs, a smart board and a projector. Food and drink is provided.
With the seminar partnership between the town and SCC in its second year, Daniel Martin, Community/Downtown Development Planner for the Town of Aberdeen, explained that they're trying something new this Spring by hosting a number of the training opportunities during lunchtime.
"You don't have to give up your evening," said Martin. "We provide food and drink, for free. You can have your lunch and learn some valuable information."
Although the seminars are geared toward area small business owners or those looking to open a business in Moore County, Martin expanded on how the general public and students can take advantage of the opportunity and benefit from the seminars. The courses, lead by experts and business leaders, focus on basics and fundamentals that can prepare anyone for the business atmosphere. Several of the Spring seminars focus on helpful information for non-profits, including grant writing.
"Our presenters come from referrals from the Small Business Center Network," Lori Williams, SCC Small Business Center Director, explained in an email.
"The typical presenter has extensive knowledge in the subject matter and has presented around the state for small business centers. There are exceptions when we find a local expert who we allow to present. There are also experts from affiliated agencies such as the Small Business Administration, the NC Rural Center, the NC Military Business Center, to name a few."
Funding for the seminars comes from the Small Business and Entrepreneurial Assistance Program grant, a community development grant through the State of North Carolina's Department of Commerce that the Town of Aberdeen has been awarded several years in a row. The grant provides funds for the Town of Aberdeen to support local businesses in exchange for jobs for the town, as well as resources for business planning education.
"Moore County is definitely a tourist county with golf, and there's a good population of retirees and military. But, we're seeing a lot of the milennials graduate from college and come back. It's a great mix that we have here."
"We're growing at a fast pace. Aberdeen is growing big time year-to-year. That's encouraging, there's a lot of opportunity here in the county," said Martin.
The Town of Aberdeen seminar series is one of a number of efforts throughout Moore County to bolster area entrepreneurship. Moore Forward acts as a hub of entrepreneurship and innovation in Moore County with initiatives including networking and events, co-working spaces and fellowships.
"The ultimate goal is to create an entrepreneurial environnment in the community," said Martin.
For more information, contact Daniel Martin at 910-944-4506 or email@example.com.
2015 Spring Seminar Schedule
• January 7th - The Sales Workshop 11a.m – 1 p.m.
• January 8th - Grant Writing 101 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
• January 12th - How to Transfer Good Ideas into Strategic Actions 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• January 15th - Grant Writing 102 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
• January 21st - How to Start and Operate an Internet Sales Business 11 a.m. – 1p.m.
• February 4th - Best Business to Start in 2015 and Why 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• February 5th - Franchising 101 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
• February 12th - Crowdfunding 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.
• February 16th - What’s Your Brand? Why Do I Want What You are Offering? 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• February 18th - Things to Consider Before Starting a Café, Coffee House, Sandwich Shop or Bakery 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• February 24th - The Inner Roadmap 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• March 16th - Creating a Clear Message for Your Customers 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• April 20th - Qualities of a Successful Entrepreneur 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• April 22nd - The Sales Workshop 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.